Saturday, 20 December 2008

respect

This shall be a short post as i'm quite tired and should really try and wake up before noon today. Tonight an ex-colleague who I used to work with in another city was in the venue after his shift at a venue across the street. When I worked with him years ago I was an inexperienced cocky teenage member of doorstaff, the sort of doorstaff that if my agency sends us now i'll most likely attempt to reject; and because of this he has certain assumptions and judges me on my skills.

Because he was in the venue, I felt nervous, firstly because I felt that I had to change his image of me, and secondly because if I fucked up I know he'll tell everyone that I used to know, and thats just embarrasment. I shouldn't really care what other people think of me, but its always nice to know that if the situation ever occurs that we are working on a door together, it would be nice for him to know that he can rely on me to watch his back.

At the end of the night a customer was refusing to leave without his coat, after losing his cloakroom ticket and being advised that he would need to wait until the end of the night the customer decided to dance; at which point I got him in a goose and straight out the front door down the steps and onto the street. When I noticed the ex-colleague standing there (subtly of course) I released the customer and stood exactly where I was. In most situations I would take a step back to create a gap, to show that the hostile situation is resolved, and most importantly give the customer a chance to walk away. I decided not to create this gap, and not to take a step back, of which, the customer did, with a pleasant 'fuck you' and he waddled off.

Retrospectively i'm not sure whether my actions throughout that process improved the ex-colleagues image of me, or whether it made me look reckless, and thus, useless. More to the point, should I care? *

* This is not rhetorical, I would actually like a response!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Personally, i would have conducted myself as any other night. There is no need to go out of your way to try an impress someone else. Be yourself, one bad move can turn you from being the respected door supervisor into "that twat".
If i saw a guy who i had worked with before who was all piss n vinegar, and ran into them some months or more down the line, i would like to think that they would mature working the doors.
But in the end it's up to you how you conduct yourself in front of other doorstaff.

iamtydemoo said...

I attempted to conduct as I usually would, but in the situation, the red raced attitude I had meant that it was not as easy to do so.